Thursday 9 January 2014

Howdy!

Howdy!  Welcome to my blog on education!

I am embarking on a journey into the world of education. I am a Teacher Candidate at Brock University in the Intermediate/Senior division, and my teachables are (1) French as a Second Language and (2) English.

Right now, if I were to boil down my philosophy of education to four words, I would say, "Learning should be fun." This phrase sounds deceptively simple, but it's quite challenging to put into practice. If given more than four words, I would also say something about technology, namely that it should be seamlessly woven into what I do. If I'm using technology correctly, then it will barely be noticed. The alternative is technology as a novelty sitting on a desk, which eventually becomes boring and thrown into a box at a yard sale. For this reason, I'm taking an optional course (EDUC 8Y59) on Computers and Instructional Technology in Secondary Schools.

This is good, for despite my claims about technology and seamless weaving, I have, thus far, been plagued with a phobia of social media. There are, therefore, two things that may result from this course:

1.) I overcome my phobia, open myself up to the new digital age, and learn what it really means to be a "21st Century Teacher."

2.) I embarrass myself and my family.

Either way, this journey will be worth watching.  I look forward to seeing how my own beliefs, passions, and philosophies about education are going to change over the course of this year, as well as over the course of my career.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a great start... You write with both confidence and vulnerability which is key in drawing in audience - and I can hear your voice. It is hard at first to write publicly - to self publish. This blog will not only serve as a great model for your students, but will become something that you, yourself will use for reflection and personal growth and development. Think of this as page one/chaper one of an amazing amazing adventure. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to comment on my blog!

      Delete